Monday, February 22, 2010

Florida Family Reunion, January 31-February 13, 2010

One of the blessings of the last months has been the birth of my granddaughter Giuliana, in part because it has prompted me to be in Florida with family more than might happen otherwise. With a little persuasion, my mother (Kay Muttart) was willing to abandon snowy and cold Toronto, Ontario, and join me this time. It was a good opportunity for a 4-generation photo. Grieving for me right now is in quiet mode, so that was good timing, too.

We rented a 2-bedroom home in a Ft. Lauderdale suburb that had a lanai, outdoor patios, and a heated swimming pool in the yard. Lovely space! Mom and I determined that we both felt better eating our own food than constant restaurant meals, so I was glad to find a Whole Foods grocery and Publix grocery 5 minutes away. The weather was mostly in the 60’s and 70’s, so a little “cool”, but overall great. We tracked the blizzards happening elsewhere and felt grateful to be where we were! I especially appreciated doing my morning prayers and eating many meals outdoors.

My sister Val and husband Hans from Alberta in western Canada were wintering in their RV home in south Florida at the same time as us. We’ve been disconnected from them for many years, so it was a great reunion and chance to catch up. We got to see the photos of their family and recent trips around the US and in Africa. [See photo of Val and Hans with Mom.]

Of course, we also spent considerable time with my daughter Jennifer, her husband Frank, and the baby. Giuliana decided Nana’s visit and Great-Grandma’s introduction were a good opportunity to show off new skills. She learned to sit up and began to creep quickly to any goal she could spot. So, we promptly bought child-proofing supplies! And Nana got some fun photos. We did quite a bit of other shopping for the baby, too…shopping always happens when we three females get together…now 4 of us! We also saw Frank’s mother Christine and his sister Fanya.

One day I was invited to Giuliana’s Mommy and me gym class, which was great fun. About 15 Mom’s (and 1 Dad) with their children 5-9 months old bouncing on the trampoline, going down a slide, swinging, playing with balls, riding on a small bike, and more, all accompanied by lively music and Miss Sue on high-speed. Wild!

I spent a bit of time at the beach, which was 10 minutes from the house. It was too cool to swim, but I waded and walked on the beach. I went down one morning for sunrise, something that Craig and I did whenever we were near a beach. So, it was communion time with him, too. And, of course I took photos!

It was an enjoyable time, if not totally restful. I worked some each day and acted as chauffer, cook, and housekeeper. Jennifer and I started on a new book together, with her acting as project leader. Mom and I spent one evening talking about religion with someone I’d met down there a few months ago. All-in-all it was a busy time and great simply to be together! Hard to come back to snowy Cleveland!

Love,
Susanne

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you had this precious time with your family, and in such a lovely setting.

    ReplyDelete