Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Retreating to Florida – April 21, 2010

I cannot quite believe that it’s been 6 weeks since I posted a blog update! It feels as if I blinked and the time was gone!



Mid-March was a significant grieving time for me. My birthday was March 13th, and a day with many memories associated with Craig. On that day in 2009, it was the last time he was able to safely come up the stairs in our home and sleep in our bedroom. I spent the day quietly at home by myself, which turned out to be okay, especially since friends sent a beautiful bouquet of yellow flowers during the day. I’d crawled back into bed mid-day, and getting up to receive them turned the day around.


Over the following two weeks, because I had a new computer arriving, I spent hours reorganizing files from 3 computers, and began the difficult process of setting up the file arrangement just for me, and putting Craig’s documents in the background. Getting the new computer was a huge project and a significant stressor. New computer, new software, new file placement – very disorienting when I’m on the computer a lot. But, it’s beginning to feel more comfortable now.


The first day of spring was Naw-Rúz, a Bahá’í holy day. I went out for a community dinner at Li Wah Restaurant in Cleveland. (See photo of me (3rd from left) with friends)


The new marriage preparation book project got going very quickly, with many experts agreeing to participate. Four wanted to be interviewed, so I accomplished that before leaving for Florida on March 29th. I had the car filled to the brim, including another large load of Jennifer’s things from the basement (load 2 of 3). I had her child’s rocking chair to get in, so I traveled with it in the front, and my stuffed animals enjoyed the view. (See photo)



I drove for 8 hours each day and arrived in Ft. Lauderdale on the 31st, utterly exhausted from the weeks before. The best part of the trip was the ever-increasing signs of spring as I drove south. The daffodils on entering North Carolina brought me joy, and I stopped the next day and took photos of flowering trees in South Carolina. (See photo)


It was great to see Jennifer, Frank, and Giuliana. With Jennifer’s coaching, I took a few days to recover. The baby and I had a great time playing. She is learning to be a drummer, so her father already has plans for her to join his band when she is older. She especially loved my penguin, laughing at it, hugging it, and biting its beak! (See photos)




I arrived smoothly and thankfully in Venice on April 3, Easter weekend, a four-hour drive from Ft. Lauderdale, and crashed. More about Venice in the next posting (very soon!).


Love,


Susanne

1 comment:

  1. Susanne you look incredible! Can't wait to see that new book!
    Anne

    ReplyDelete